4:20 on the Bong Bridge

09 Aug 2010
Posted by jim

It's funny how life claps along sometimes. For example, the other day I was driving to Madeline Island for a band vacation....  Heading east on HWY 23, things actually were going pretty smoothly. Often on this 2-lane highway one can get stuck behind a slow driver, but today from approx. 2-3 p.m. things were pretty sparse traffic-wise.

Turing right in Mora, you begin the last section of 23 before hitting N35W.  However, right at the entrance, suddenly there was a detour! So I headed into Hinkley, turned right at the first gas station (past a bed-and-breakfast going for $29/night) and continued on...

Back on 35, I was feeling good that the last of the construction detours were finished.  And although a sign pointed out there would be construction further ahead (and suggested an alternate route), I just stayed with the flow.  After a while, I almost forgot about the foreshadowed construction...

But just as I started the picturesque descent into Duluth, another stretch of construction began.  Traffic was pushed to 1 lane, and I slowly crept down the hill surrounded by red flags and work signs. After finally getting to lowertown Duluth (think I just made that up, but you know what I mean), I glanced at the clock on the dashboard. It said "4:18".

All of a sudden I'm like - am I going to be crossing the Richard I. Bong Memorial Bridge at 4:20?? Turns out I was :D  Here are the freakin' pictures 2 prove it:

So I'm not sure what was learned, *but* you just can't make this kind of stuff up!  Therefore, thank you Universe, for the sense of humor (among other things ... ;)